Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday

Hungary
It’s Monday and we finished the first day of class. There are three students in the class, so it’s pretty easy to learn each ones name, Miriam, Gabor, and Betty. Laszlo is my interpreter again. It really is easy to teach with a good interpreter. This year and in fact in all of my classes I’ve had a great person right besides me translating and interpreting what I am teaching.
Today went well. Yesterday….. Well let’s say it was quite an experience.
Got the train and left Vienna on time (11:52) with no problems. Crossed the boarder with no problems. Got to the Budapest train station (3:10) with no problems. When I got there, no Laszlo to pick me up. Little problem. After two hours it started to become a bigger problem (plus it was HOT). Then in addition to this I couldn’t call the Haus to let them know what was happening, because Sunday afternoon was their outing to Baden, so I knew most everyone would not be around to answer the phone. I had to wait until after 5:00 to make sure someone would be there. So I found a travelers aid and purchased a phone card. By the time I finally got the card to work thanks to the help of a shop keeper nearby who spoke a little English, it was close to 6:00. I called and explained that what I really needed was the address of the Baptist Theological Seminary where I would be staying and teaching. I had a key to get into the place thanks to Jim North who had been here the week before. So I figured I could take a taxi to the place and then get in and get settled. I told them that I would call back in about 30 minutes for that information. Again with phone problems it was close to 7:00 before I finally got through. Then I asked the kind shop keeper where I could catch a taxi. He called one for me and the guy came to me and picked up my bag and we left. Got here and sure enough the keys opened the huge door to the entrance. Once inside none of the other keys worked in any of the doors. So I’m inside the courtyard but not inside a building. There are several building here.
I left (locked the door behind me) and walked down the street and found a hotel, and booked a room for the night. I called the Haus and told them what I was doing and that if Laszlo came looking for me where I would be.
We met this morning and had a great day! I found out later that Laszlo was at a different station waiting for me. It’s still HOT here!
John

No comments: