Monday, June 22, 2009

Holidays

I never thought much about the holidays I grew up being just American holidays. Take Fathers day for instance. It just happened this past Sunday. I have two daughters. I’m sure they were thinking of me on Sunday.
Now I'm guessing other countries may have similar holidays, but I'm really not too sure how many do. I do know England does celebrate Mothers day. It's in a different month, March I believe, but its there none the less. I’m not sure about a Father’s Day, but I’m sure if they have a Mothers Day, they’ll have a Father Day. I’m sure someone will set me straight with all of this.
Groundhog Day, Earth Day, Arbor Day, April’s Fool Day, Halloween. Speaking about Halloween, did you know there is a Mischief Night? It’s the night before Halloween where people go around and cause minor mischief offenses, like the wonderful art of tepeeing trees in front of houses and houses and even the inside of houses. I found toilet paper and the cardboard cores for months afterwards. Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, Secretary’s Day oh, I’m sorry I meant to say Administrative Professionals’ Day, Sweetest Day (it’s a Hallmark thing) and my favorite of all Grandparents Day. Actually most of them are Hallmark days. Yes, I did leave out Festivus (Dec. 23). But I really wasn’t a big Seinfeld fan.
I left out all the president days and the war memorial days, because I do know that other countries celebrate their countries famous men and women and they also celebrate the battles and victories of war.
Bank Holidays, that’s what they call them over here. You have to be careful though when you go out to shop; you always have to check to make sure it’s not a Bank Holiday. Most everything is closed. Plenty of spaces right down in front to park though!
You never know when you've got a Bank Holiday to celebrate.

John

No comments: