Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wednesday

Again class went well. With only three people in it there's a lot of time for me to explain a little more in detail and give extra explanation to different issues that come up in class.

Everyday for lunch everyone seemed to be going their own way. I would go down the street to a little grocery store and by a sandwich, come back to my apartment and eat by myself. Today as the students were breaking for lunch one of the students mentioned that she was going to Burger King. So to make a long story short....

Mariam and I walk several blocks down to Burger King. (Past Kodaly's house again, and past the Liszt Music Academy.) Mariam has been teaching school for 2 years now. She teachers what we would call middle school students. She teaches, History, 2 dimensional art, and one other subject. As you can guess she is extremely busy. Plus she must be about 5' (she said that she is 153 centimeters) so a lot of the older students are bigger than she is. (yes, even me) When I asked about if any of the boys gave her a hard time, she just looked up and smiled at me and finally nodded her head. She said that sometimes it's quite hard. She also works with the youth in her church.

She lives in a small town near the Romanian border. She is Hungarian although she was born in Romania and lived there until she was about 11. Then her family moved to a town near the Ukraine border. Now while she is taking the class here in budapest she is living with her parents in a town about 50 Kilometers away, and takes the train back and forth. She is a very sweet girl.

When I do get pictures up you may have to go back several posts to put faces and stories together. Sorry about that.

John

No comments: