Tuesday, July 1, 2008

ROMANIA 08


The mandolin orchestra; The pizza guy pulled up as church was ending. I just had to take this picture. Seems like my son-in-law has a part time job in Romania!


These are my students; This is with my translator Aurel

Sunday - Tuesday
It’s Sunday night and I’m at the Bucharest Baptist Seminary. Usually the TCMI classes are help at the Provident Baptist Church, but this week there are several different groups there working with Project Ruth. The church runs a school for the gypsy children in the area. Groups from America come over and help out, so I’m here on the other side of Bucharest in the seminary. It’s 10:15 at night it’s HOT. I’m sitting here doing nothing and I’m sweating.
Vasile picked me up at the airport again, like he has done for the other two times I’ve been here. It was good to see him again. He took me to PBC where a worship service was going to start soon.
The worship service had singing, a Mandolin Orchestra, a worship team, and a lot of people who had ‘greetings’ and ‘welcomes’ to say, before the sermon was delivered. It was given by one of the students from one of the groups from America, so it was short! But the service was long.
When the service was over I still had no idea what time it was. I got to the airport at about 4:30; I didn’t not see a clock until it was about 9:00 when I arrived at the seminary building. I’m 4 floors up (well, three according to the way they count floors in Europe) and right now I have the whole floor to myself. My room is okay with a choice of 3 beds. I checked each of them. The guy who wrote Goldilocks must have stayed here. There is a hard mattress, and medium one and a soft one. The bath is down the hall. Tonight it’s all mine, but I have no idea if I will have students here for the rest of the week. I’m only scheduled to have 6-8 students.
I’m hoping someone from our Romanian TCMI contact shows up tomorrow, because I have no idea where I teach, or even what students are supposed to be in my class. I have been working with Andy, He is working with Project Ruth and also helps out with TCMI stuff when Oti, the National Director is not around like this past week. Ito was in the States.
I’m also hoping that I can get to the Internet during the week; otherwise this will be one long post on Saturday night after I get back to Haus Edelweiss.

Well Monday passed. It just might be a long week.
Andy showed up about half hour before class was to start. And that was okay because I had everything ready to go. We plugged the video projector into the computer turned it on and it worked like a charm. Then I plugged the sound in. I even ran a video just to make sure I had sound. Yep, things worked great. Andy left. We needed an electrical extension with a multi outlet on it. We found one and plugged everything in. No video! This is taking too long to tell. It took another 30 minutes to get everything running, but not like it did at first. Now my whole laptop monitor is on the screen and the only thing on my computer screen is my background slide. (I know, but it won’t work any other way.) I spent the whole day looking at the screen behind me and then turning around to talk to the students.
I have 4. Very nice and they all understand enough English that the translation is just reinforcing what they heard me just say. It will be a good class I know. Oh my room accommodations have changed a bit. I’m still in the same room, but now I have 3 floor mates, two girls and a guy. With only one restroom on the floor, this is going to be interesting. So we two guys will use the restroom on the floor below us and the girls will use the one on this floor.
Tuesday
One of the girls Lidia is a Veterinarian. But she is also a missionary working with the slum children in a village in India. She uses her Vet skills to make money and then works with these children. The other girl, Ioana works with the church as a youth and children’s leader. She also helps with women’s ministry.
One of the guys Emilian or Emy is a member of the Lord’s Army. (See my post from Moldova for more about this organization.) He will actually have a paid position within this group. It’s really a new thing for this para-church group to do, hire someone for a specific job. He will work with the youth in the Lord’s Army. The other guy Soterius a church planter. His church is about 5 years old and it’s running around 120 – 150. They are all very sharp!
It’s been another hot day, but the class went well. I even got the correct cable this morning, so everything worked great.
John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice car, your son in law must be simply amazing. I am sure he is good looking, smart and one heck of a guy.

or he is a fat loaf that watching football and wishes he owned a pizza shop.

it should say Jerry's handy man service and yard care!!!!

John said...

This is for anonymous.
Your are right, he is one amazing, good looking, smart and one all around nice guy. Especially when it comes to fixing things, house repairs, lawn service, etc.
What a guy!
john