Thursday, May 14, 2009

Belarus worship seminar

See I was teaching.
Class

Every time I have ever left a job for a new position I’ve always had an exit interview. I’ve been thinking about that and asking myself what kind of questions would I ask me about the worship seminar that I just finished in Belarus.
What were the highlights about this seminar?
I was excited to see about 20 people there. It was a mix of younger Christians and older ones. It was fascinating for me to see was that there was a big difference between the two age groups. Probably about 15 of them were in their 20’s. The rest were probably between 30 and 50.
First of all seeing that many young people so interested in leading worship was certainly an encouragement for me. But to also realize that the others were there to learn also. In fact it was a great encouragement to me to see these older Christians there among a sea of young faces. For the younger ones, change is something that they understand and live almost every day. But for an older Christian to see the need for change and want to be a catalyst to help make that happen, well, that’s wonderful.
There were always questions; Questions in class and out of class. Questions like, “How do you go about arranging a song?” “What kind of instrumentation do you use?” “How often does the choir sing?” “How many worship leaders do you have in your church?” And of course there was the, “What do you do about a very confrontational person on the worship team?” For this one, I told them that I had no idea what they were talking about, because everyone on all of our worship teams gets along so fabulously well. We had a good laugh over that answer!
What would you have done different?
I probably would have spent a lot more time on the practical ideas and lessons for them. We did talk about the worship leader and the person of character and integrity that they need to be; of how testing brings growth, and how that person needs to live a life of servanthood. And what teamwork means.
I would have tried to have more discussions with individuals during the day if possible. I took Monday morning to do some sightseeing. On Tuesday morning I met with Daniel a full time worship leader in a new church plant in Minsk. At two years old they are running around 150-180 people. Daniel was in my TCM class I taught last year here in Minsk. Meeting like I did with Daniel needed to happen more with other worship leaders; Just listening to their stories, and to be an encouragement for them.
More time needed to be spent in this worship leader’s seminar. But time was not a luxury I had.
Will you go back?
Yes, I would like to.
When?
It may be awhile though. And it doesn’t even have to be me that goes back. It could be other worship leaders from here will go and teach in a Worship Arts Conference held for all of Belarusian worship leaders.

No comments: