Sunday, June 28, 2009

L'viv

First of all I have to say, I'm sorry by no photos in this blog. After i got here things started happening so fast i didn't even have time to think about getting camera.
Our plane we delayed 1 hour and 20 minutes. Seem like it was a computer malfunction. we actually disembark one plane and got on another about 20 minutes later. Some type of plane but different equipment. (why do they use the term equipment when they mean plane?)
Anyway, we get to L'viv and a bus picks us up at the plane and takes us to the passport control building. No sooner do we get there when another bus arrives with more people that have to go through passport control. It was pretty crowed in there and we were all in one big bunch packed together quite close. I finally get to the front of the line and the guard there wants to see my immigration papers. (I'll explain this in another blog). I show him what he wants and he notices that there is no name of a person I'm going to see, nor is there an address of where I'm going to be spending my nights. There not a name and a residence, because I don't have a name other then Sergei (no last name) and i have no idea where Sergei is going to take me. He tells me in broken English, "Write what I tell you, Hotel L'viv, City L'viv. I finally understand what he is trying to tell me, so i quickly wrote down, Hotel L'viv, City L'viv. When it was my turn to go to passport control and gave the person my passport and the immigration paper with Hotel L'viv, City L'viv. She finally stamped everything and gave me everything back and out the door I walk.
I finally met Sergei (my translator and guide for the week), his brother Sasha (short for Alexander), another Sasha, and Yevgeniy Siney the National Director for TCMI Ukraine.
All 5 of us got in Sergei's car and drove about 15 minutes to Sergei's house for dinner. The drive for most people would have taken about 25 minutes.
Once we got to his apartment, about 8 floors squeezed in a small elevator, he told me that he, his mother and father and his brother wife and kid all live in this 2 room apartment. I'm not sure how that worked out, because I was directed to the kitchen, for dinner. 4 of us (I'm not sure where the brother was) sat down at the table and there before us was a spread of meats and cheese and homemade desserts. Sergei's mother also made this drink. It was carbonated. I asked what it was and they told me it was made from bread. I'll try and remember to tell you more about it later on.
Sergei, told us we had 20 minutes before we had to leave for church. Okay, no problem. All the food was good, hams, meat (that's what they told me... "This is meat") breaded and fried cabbage (reminded me of fried Zucchini flowers).
As we are going out to the car, Sergei, turns around and tells/asks/informs me that i am preaching tonight. After a couple of questions (on my part) and answers (on his) we wound up with me preaching a short sermon, one of several during the service.
The service was wonderful, lots of Ukrainian songs, and everyone sang out strongly. Sergei, preached first, more songs, several specials from two young girls, and it was my turn. John 4: 7-ff. I finished up and more songs and then the preacher Vladimir got up and preached. his was the main one, I'm pretty sure.
Well, that's been my first particle day in L'viv. Tomorrow, I start class. I'll be blogging with pictures also.
Okay i better go for now, it's getting late here.
John

No comments: